Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Organizing your pantry- Spring metamorphosis

This is my first post in a series on how to get organized in the kitchen to get you eating better.

Last week was the first time I ventured out into the backyard to potter around clearing away old leaves and doing some early weeding. The girls enjoyed it too, mimicking their mom and enjoying the sunshine. Daughter#1 was particularly excited as each time she saw a new green bud or emerging leaf she'd exclaim, 'Look Mom! What's that?' and, 'Wow that's so exciting!'. I was also excited until I saw her pulling out what I did not consider to be a weed.The change of seasons in Canada are distinct and beautifully dramatic. The African seasons I am accustomed to seem to merge into one another like the blurry edges of my daughter’s over-diluted paint. This being my first Spring in the Northern Hemisphere I feel a strong urge to clean out, get fit and start afresh... coming out of 'hivernation', in the adorable words of my 4-year old.

If you're in that frame of mind and you want to start eating better, getting your pantry organized is a fantastic place to start. Knowing what you have in the kitchen will help with more efficient shopping habits and better meal planning. So here are a few tips that work for me:

·          Step 1
Empty out the pantry and give the shelves a good wipe down. If you’re vertically challenged like me, make sure you use a stepping stool so you can see into all your shelves. Don’t fall into the trap of skimming the shelves on tip-toes as you may be bombarded with a falling packet of 2-minute noodles you never thought you had, or worse, a flying can of tuna. You may be surprised at what you find.

*Frugal challenge- see how creative you can be by trying to put a meal together with just the items in your pantry.

·          Step 2
Check expiry dates and throw out anything that is past its best before date. Give away items you know you’ll probably never use.

*Frugal tip- If your cake flour has recently expired, why not make a batch of home-made play dough or drop it off at your child’s school to be used for their crafts.

·          Step 3
Organize each food item according to category, for example, staples and starches like rice, pasta, polenta, popping corn, lentils and oatmeal could all go on the same shelf. I usually store large items like cereals in the top shelves as they’re easy to identify and retrieve. Use see-through containers and trays to store smaller items.  Lazy susans (rotating round trays) within a pantry can also be useful for storing condiments and small bottles.

For those with toddlers, make sure you child-proof your cupboards. I prefer to put all breakables and food items out of reach rather than locking cupboards (I find the locks impractical), though the layout of your cupboards may necessitate locking. If you can spare the space, keep a cupboard/drawer with unbreakable pots, old pans, and plastic bowls that your children can play with while you cook.

*Frugal tip- I keep large clear plastic containers from the grocery store to organize and separate smaller items in the pantry, such as bags of lentils/ spices.

·         Step 4
      Make a shopping list of things to stock up on. With two kids under the age of 4 I have had to trim down my shopping expeditions – not only are they fewer, they’re also faster. Online shopping for groceries, if it's available in your area, can also be a huge time-saver. Not only does planning ahead help with meal planning, but it can also save you money since you’re not shopping on impulse. 

      Here’s a list of my basics that I keep in the kitchen for cooking and baking.

      Dry ingredients:
      Pasta -different shapes for different moods.
      OatsThe glycaemic index of oats seems to vary widely so shop around till you find one that suits you. Avoid instant oats, especially flavoured ones as they tend to have a very high glycaemic index.
      RiceBrown rice and white long grain rice both have a low glycaemic index.
      Cake flour- I like to keep a small packet of wholewheat flour to add to homemade muffins or pancakes to increase the nutrient and fibre content.
Canned foods:
Fish- tuna, salmon, mackerel. Salmon and mackerel are considered oily fish so they are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which have numerous health benefits.
Beans, Chickpeas- beans are an economical and nutritious way to bulk up meat dishes.
Creamed corn- I like to add this to my chicken soup (recipe coming soon).
Whole peeled tomatoes (canned)

Oils- Canola is my basic cooking oil. It's rich in monounsaturated fats and is relatively inexpensive. I reserve the more expensive oils like extra virgin olive oil for drizzling over salads and sesame oils for specific Asian dishes.
Soya sauce- 'less sodium' versions are available. I prefer to avoid ones with added corn syrup, water and caramel; the flavour of a premium brand is worth the cost. 
Dried mixed herbs
Black peppercorns
Garlic- rich in anti-oxidants and the kids won't really notice it in their meals. 
Onions- same as garlic

Baking:
Cinnamon- useful for adding flavour to oatmeal, pancakes, greek yoghurt, puddings, and muffins, and there's evidence to suggest it's good for the heart.
Baking powder
Baking soda
Vanilla extract

Fridge:
Eggs
Milk- I keep both semi-skimmed (2% fat) for my preschooler and homogenized/whole (3.5% fat) for my toddler. Current recommendations say that toddlers need the extra calories until age 2. If your preschooler's diet is low in fat, then 2% should be fine; if it is too high then skimmed is best.
Butter- I know it's not the healthiest, but some baking is just not the same without butter, so this is my compromise.
Cheese- mozzarella, cottage and feta are lower fat options. Always read labels if you are unsure.

Freezer:
Peas
Mixed vegetables- for quick veggie options or when you just can't get to the shops.
Oven-baked chips- always a favourite with the kids. The fat content varies by brand so compare the labels.
Frozen berries -useful for adding a boost of vitamin C, antioxidants and brilliant colour to smoothies, pancakes, or muffins.















This is the brand of soya sauce I prefer. Shop around for prices as it may be cheaper at your local Chinese grocer.



There's nothing better than collective wisdom, so if you have any useful tips to share, please do. I'd love to hear them.


A beautiful spacious pantry (http://www.closettailors.com)

3 comments:

archibaldpike said...

Great ideas! So useful.

archibaldpike said...

Our list is roughly the same as yours, except we don't do much baking. We also always have a jar of mango atchaar for curry days.

What's Cooking? said...

Thanks for the suggestion- often I'd like something spicy, but I have to consider the whole family's taste, so mango atchar would be a great addition to my plate, and I'll get a boost of vitamin C!