Saturday, June 4, 2011

Food Revolution: Food for Thought


Lately I've been following the reality show "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution- Season 2" and I must say, I was shocked by what I saw. Yesterday's episode showed Jamie asking 17-year-old students basic questions about food, something like "Where does butter come from- a cow, corn, or cheese?". You wouldn't believe the answers he got. This most basic lack of knowledge about where our food comes from really gets me fired up. It's no wonder we're facing a multitude of health problems related to poor diet.

Here's a preview of Jamie giving an education session to elementary school children, another eye-opener. Of course it's a good idea to include topics about nutrition and healthy eating in schools, but our homes should be the first place our children learn basic things, like what a tomato looks like.

Although my preschooler already has a keen interest in cooking and foods, I for one am making sure my girls are involved in shopping and cooking, and that they are aware of the benefits and pleasures of fresh, home-made, free-range, organic, locally-produced foods.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post - it is really shocking. People have become so removed from the source of their food and think it comes packaged in convenient nuggets!

What's Cooking? said...

So true! Thanks for visiting.