Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Tortillas: Avoiding 'sliced bread fatigue'

I think my girls and I have 'bread fatigue'. Okay, it might just be me (and something to do with this heat wave), but the idea of having anything bread-like for lunch today was not appealing. I already did pasta, Chinese noodles, English muffins, and pizza in the preceding days, so my options were few. Also, with temperatures soaring to 40 deg C, I was not going to drag my already cranky children to the grocery store. That's when I thought of making tortillas. I used to do a simple batter version- flour and polenta (maize meal) mixed with milk- but I think the recipe is packed away somewhere (we moved house recently). The recipe below is a simple dough version of tortillas and is healthier than the classic recipes that tend to use animal fat or lard. By adding wholewheat flour, I increased the nutrient and fibre content. It's so easy to make, and it provided an excellent activity for my preschooler who loves to help me in the kitchen. Nothing beats 'home-made' and to me, it tasted so much better than sliced bread!

Recipe

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup warm water

Combine flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
Add oil and water and mix together to form a dough.
Place the dough on a floured surface and knead until smooth.
Divide the dough into 10-12 pieces and roll into balls.
Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes (or more if you have time) to allow it time to rest.
Roll each ball out to about 6 inches (15 cm) in diameter, or to your desired thickness.
Fry on a good non-stick or cast iron pan - high heat if you want them soft, medium-high heat if you like them crispy. When bubbles start to form, flip over to brown the other side.


No comments: